Skinny Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie (no added sugar, Dairy free) Recipe

By JULIE - 12:02:00 PM


I hosted Thanksgiving again this year which means I had access to all the leftovers.  Which resulted in me gaining about 3 pounds.  Not good when were just starting the holiday season!  This might not sound like alot but it was just enough to put me into what I call my weight danger zone.  My weight danger zone for me is when I reach my highest weight I've ever been and am in danger of going up a size.  I pretty much don't think much about calories unless I am in the danger zone, then I am very careful to eat low calorie and exercise any chance I get.  I also try to be really careful about cutting out sugars and grains (unless it's high fiber) and basically trying to recreate that magical time in my life when I lost 15 lbs effortlessly


Lately every mourning I've been having what I call a breakfast scramble that consists of peppers and kale from our garden and onions with organic country style hash browns, local raised pork sausage topped with a perfectly cooked fried egg and reduced fat cheese.  It's soooo good and it's been a great way to use the bumper crop of peppers and kale from our garden.  As much as I've been enjoying my breakfast it's not exactly low cal.  So I figured since I need to lose a few pounds already and it's just the start of the holidays I probably better find and easy low calorie alternative for breakfast. At least if you start the day put with a low calorie healthy breakfast your for sure going to have 1/3 of your meals healthy.  I decided to make a smoothie that was low calorie, filling with protein and fiber, and with no added sugar was the answer.  Hence the creation of my latest and great smoothie "The Skinny Pumpkin Pie Smoothie".


I’m a big fan of protein shakes and smoothies because they are so fast and easy to make… the peach pie and chocolate banana smoothies are my favorites! They are a great after-workout drink and great on days when I want a fast, healthy breakfast.

This smoothie is so great you would never think it's healthy!  It taste like a pumpkin pie milk shake but it's dairy free with no added sugar.  It's basically just some pumpkin, a banana, protein powder, and milk alternate, stevia and with some spices so it's completely guilt free.  It's a great for breakfast or as a snack for if your on the go too just simply  put into a cup with a lid and straw and go.  Perfect for holiday shopping!  This is now become my new go to recipe for a smoothie.  I don't have kids to taste this recipe, but I can only imagine that kids would love this.


Skinny Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
Makes about 2 cups (more or less depending on amount of ice used)

Ingredients 
  • 1 1/4 cup of favorite milk alternative (I like making cashew milk)
  • 1/2 cup of pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling (about 1/3 of a 15 oz can) *note could sub with cooked pureed sweet potatoes
  •  2 tsp stevia (more or less to taste I used Trader Joe's stevia)
  • 1 scoop of vanilla or unflavored protein powder
  • 1 medium banana sliced and frozen
  •  1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg and a 1/8 tsp of ginger)
  • a few ice cubes (more or less to taste I used tiny ice cubes so it's easier to blend) 
 Directions 

  • Combine all ingredients in blender, pulse first until the ice is a bit broken up and then blend on a low speed working toward high.  Blend until smooth.  If you have been blending for a while with no movement add more "milk". Taste it, if it's not sweet enough add a little stevia until desired taste is achieved
  • serve immediately.
Don’t forget to “likeus on Facebook.  Let’s be friends on Pinterest and we can follow each other on Twitter and check out my other blog OhYou Crafty Gal.  

©Minneapolis Homestead www.theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com All rights reserved. Photos and content cannot be reproduced


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts